TWD: Irish Soda Bread

20120319-121123.jpg

I spent most of the summer of 2010 in Ireland, traveling, writing, kissing the Blarney Stone, drinking plenty at pubs, and of course, meeting the guy I love πŸ™‚

What I don’t remember is eating Irish Soda Bread. I am sure that I must have had slices throughout our six weeks there, but I remember brown bread and some of my friends’ new obsessions with scones. For some reason, soda bread just never stood out to me.

But the simple recipe was one of the March recipes for Tuesdays with Dorie — Saturday was St. Patrick’s Day, after all! I made it one weeknight when I wanted a piece of bread to accompany my dinner and just didn’t have any around. And it was so easy to make, just four ingredients: flour, buttermilk, salt and baking powder. I added a spoonful of sugar and rum-soaked raisins, too.

20120319-121041.jpg

The outside was nice and chewy, with a soft inside. I cut it as soon as it came from the oven, so perhaps it would have set up more had I let it cool. But I am too impatient! Luckily, soda bread is perfect for the impatient!

20120313-214931.jpg

I made the bread again on Saturday, after picking up six packs of Magner’s and Guinness at the store to celebrate with. This time, I used currants soaked in a small amount of Jameson’s, and I forgot to add a spoonful of sugar so I sprinkled some on top of the loaf a few minutes after I stuck it in the oven. But it was again delicious– and was gone in less than 24 hours! (It also made a great snack at 3 a.m. after a night out celebrating our Irish heritage!)

20120319-121054.jpg

20120319-121110.jpg

My dad and I made Snakebites on Saturday before going out to dinner - cider layered with stout. Delicious! But, difficult to get the layers to stay separate, even when pouring the stout against a spoon.

20120319-121118.jpg

Want the recipe?Β Visit My Culinary Mission and Chocolate Moosey. Check out the Tuesdays with Dorie site to see all the hundreds of other bloggers’ results.

Advertisements
Tagged , ,

14 thoughts on “TWD: Irish Soda Bread

1. Hornedfroggy says:

Looks like a perfect loaf! πŸ™‚

2. Lynn says:

Soaking the currants in beer is brillant. I wish I’d thought of that!

• katiethisdell says:

It’s actually whiskey! But I bet beer or cider would be great too! I saw one reader used raisins in orange juice.

3. heathersbytes says:

Your loaf looks great!

4. Amy says:

Katie – I know what the bread was missing! I really like carawy seeds in mine. I looked at my other two recipes and they have a small amount of butter worked in to make them a little more tender. However, I did like the way this one turned out. I will be better for the Pizza Rustica!
    Love,
    Your mom

5. Teresa says:

Nice job! Sounds like you celebrated St. Paddy’s perfectly.

6. Lovely loaf! Whiskey raisins sound delicious!

7. I am definitely going to have to try cider mixed with stout! Never had it, but it looks good! Your bread looks great too. Mine did not turn out so hot but my substitutions were not the smartest. Sounds like you had a really fun St. Patty’s Day!

8. Cher says:

Soaking dried fruit in alcohol is never a bad decision πŸ™‚
    Looks great.

9. Amanda says:

Your loaf looks amazing. I am going to have to try some kind of fruit next time!