TWD: Double Chocolate Cookies

chocolatecookies1

This cookie dough is practically fudge, and the resulting cookies like the richest brownie you’ve ever bitten into, a cakey version of your favorite holiday chocolate truffle, or bite-size overwhelmingly chocolate tartlets. They’re a cookie solely in name and shape.

The double chocolate cookies from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking with Julia are likely some of the most decadent you’ll ever bake. With more than one pound of chocolate in the batter, these cookies could make a bad day awesome with just one bite.

My mother was the one who actually mixed the dough together this past Sunday, while I started tackling my jam-packed, don’t-open-the-door, why-can’t-I-discard-memories closet in my purple childhood bedroom. It’s full of high school memories, like princessy prom dresses and Dark Hollow Day Camp T-shirts. (I also tried on my mom’s prom dress, a barely white full-length eyelet dress with a blue ribbon cinching the waste. Styles have changed!)

But back to the cookies: Bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate melt in a double boiler, while eggs and sugar get beaten in a mixer for 10 minutes, until thick ribbons form. They’re gradually combined, along with just a half-cup of flour, and of course, more chocolate, bittersweet chunks this time. The dough needs to be refrigerated a few hours before baking.

Minutes from the oven, the cookies had a bittersweet bite, leading my mom to wonder how they’d be with less melted chocolate stirred in, or with nuts to offset the chocolate. A small scoop of vanilla ice cream helped as well. But after they sat for a few hours (well above dog reach, of course, for I fear these could be dangerous for pups), the chocolate flavors softened as the cookie firmed up. A coworker said she couldn’t keep taking them off the calorie counter, and suggested moving the container to another part of the newsroom. And my gluten-intolerant roommate asked to freeze one for a particularly chocolate-craving day.

addingchocolate

fudgydough

This recipe was one of the November selections for the Tuesdays with Dorie group. Find out what other bakers thought of these cookies here

Double Chocolate Cookies
From Baking with Julia

Note: Next time, we may use less melted chocolate, or sub in some milk chocolate. Chopped nuts could also make a nice addition.

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into larger-than-chip-size chunks, divided in half
1 stick unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place the butter, half the bittersweet chocolate and the unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the butter and chocolates are melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, put the eggs, sugar, coffee, and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat at high speed for about 10 minutes, until the mixture is very thick and forms a slowly dissolving ribbon when the whisk is lifted and the mixture is allowed to drizzle back into the bowl.

With the mixer on low speed, very gradually add the warm butter-chocolate mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and work your rubber spatula around the bottom of the bowl, then continue to mix just until the chocolate is incorporated.

Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add to the batter, along with the other half of the semisweet chocolate chunks and fold the ingredients with a rubber spatula. The mixture will look like a thick, marshmallowy cake batter.

Cover the dough with plastic and chill for several hours, overnight, or up to 4 days.

When you are ready to bake, position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto the lined sheets. (Note: the recipe says to leave plenty of room between balls, but our cookies didn’t spread as much as expected.) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the pans front to back and top to bottom halfway through. The cookies will puff, then sink and crinkle and wrinkle around the edges. These cookies are better underdone than overbaked, so if you have any doubts, pull them out of the oven earlier rather than later. They shouldn’t appear dry and they won’t be crisp. Transfer to cooling racks to cool to room temperature. Enjoy!

Unsupervised cookies are safe only when smoked cow knucklebones are also on the menu for pups

rachelbone

Meanwhile, 13-year-old Jill isn’t amused by the baby dog.

jill

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “TWD: Double Chocolate Cookies

1. saucygander says:

Your post makes me want to make the chocolate truffle tartlets for our December rewind week! And, nice prom dresses :-)

2. Ckay says:

So cute, your dogs. Beautiful!
    These cookies were absolutely delicious. Another blogger made them with hazelnut flour and they became gluten-free (your roommate may appreciate them even more;-) )

3. SandraM says:

Beautiful shot of your cookies! These were so good, and gluten free would be interesting to try with this recipe.
    Love the pics of the pups. So funny how the older pets get exasperated by the young ones. :)

• Katie @ Counter Dog says:

You can’t even imagine how much the older dog barks at the puppy when we’re visiting. It’s a good thing they don’t live together!

4. I loved your paragraph about your purple bedroom =) Your cookies look amazing. Sooo decadent.

• Katie @ Counter Dog says:

Haha yes, I think my mom wants to paint that room whenever I fully move out… it’ll take a few years though! and thanks!

5. mireia says:

I’m glad everybody loved them, they were deffinitely better once they had cooled down, by the way, lovely blog!

• Katie @ Counter Dog says:

Thanks!! Normally I like ooey-gooey desserts right out of the oven, but these were just a little too much at first.

6. Beautiful cookies! And I just love the shots of your dog. So pretty! :)

7. Cathleen says:

Ahhh.. both your dogs are adorable! I have a couple of gluten free friends that I want to share these with. I read another post where they subbed hazelnut flour to make them gluten free. I’m going to try this! Your cookies look good!

• Katie @ Counter Dog says:

After reading all the comments about subbing gluten free flours, maybe I’ll do the same, if I make these again. I know a roommate that would be delighted! Thanks!

8. Love your dogs! Especially the “counter-surfer” header photo. My golden retriever was the same way. Covering local government in VA must be really interesting right now. I live in MD, but hear about VA stuff on public radio all of the time. You guys are way more interesting than MD’s political stuff, unless you count Baltimore’s craziness.

• Katie @ Counter Dog says:

It is interesting, and there’s always something new to learn about government.
      Did you ever figure out how to get your golden to stop counter surfing?? I’d love any tips! Mine waits until I go into the bathroom usually, and snags whatever is up there, even empty containers, or my roommate’s lunches. I’ve taken to sticking food in the cabinet if I leave the room.

9. Awww, love the pups! Soooo cute!
    Those cookies look dangerous. There’s no way I could have just one!

10. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance.
    I must say that you’ve done a great job with this. In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Internet explorer.
    Outstanding Blog!